Friday, April 16, 2010

Drama...

So when my show aires on "Mystery Diagnosis" I'll be sure to take you all to Disney World! :) Without going into too much graphic detail, here's the scoop: About 2 months ago, I woke up to some unusual things going on. I wasn't in pain, but thought "Hey, that's weird" so I went to the Dr. to see what they thought. I was treated for a UTI and sent on my way. 10 days later after I had finished the antibiotic, the symptoms were still present so I went back. My Dr. (who I love!) scratched her head, said she's never seen anything like it, and refered me to a Urologist. After meeting with the Urologist, he too scratched his head and told me that in 18 years he's never seen anything like it. A bladder scope showed that whatever it was, it was coming from my left kidney. The strange thing was, I had NO infection, my blood and urine tests/cultures all came back NORMAL. I was sent for a CT scan that also came back NORMAL. I then underwent a kidney scope which showed NOTHING... ZERO...ZIP. That's when the fun started... after my 2nd scope, the Urologist placed a stent to keep the area open just in case I did have a stone or something to allow it to pass through. I have NEVER felt so much discomfort and pain as I did during the 10 days I had the stent, or so I thought... When the Dr. removed the stent, the nurse said I should be feeling back to normal wthin a few hours... NOT! I THOUGHT I knew what pain felt like... but the first 2-3 days preceeding the removal was UNBEARABLE... It's gotten better over time, but I still have "attacks" that come out of nowhere. I'll be feeling fine one minute and doubled over the next. I went to the ER Sunday night (the 2nd time I've been to the ER) for a fever and pain attacks averaging every 5-10 minutes. I was admitted and stayed through Tues. night. I saw 6 Dr.'s including a Nephrologist (kidney specialist) who all scratched their heads in wonderment. The latest CT scan shows some swelling in the kidney, but that's likely from the stent and will eventually subside on it's own (or with medication). I wasn't impressed AT ALL by the Nephroligist who spent a total of 10 minutes talking over my head... so I will be seeing a new Dr. in the upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, my general Dr. is great and is working hard to find SOMEONE who can help figure this out. I'm on a good dose of pain med. that I try and only take when I absolutely need it, and I'm appreciating more than ever the moments I feel good and can play on the floor with my boys. I have faith, that in time, this will all work itself out. I'm just grateful for the prayers of others, the support of my good husband, decent insurance and the knowledge that "This too, shall pass."

7 comments:

Angie Torres said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!!! I hope everything gets figured out really soon...and just for the record-You are looking fabulous!

Christine said...

I am sooo sorry, Kelli! That is just miserable! You look fantastic, though! I will keep you and your family in our prayers that people will be placed in your path that can help you!

Meagan , Brian, Sydney and Jonas! said...

rough! I'm so sorry to hear that! I do hope they will find some cure for your ailment. On a side note, Brian and I both agree that you look awesome in your family picture!

Brammer Family said...

...and despite it all, you're still smilin'! :)

You're in our family prayers, every day!

Erin said...

Kelli, I love you! You inspire me. You're smiling in your picture, with all this drama going on. You're wonderful, and you are watched over. I know it:)

Bethany Sines said...

oh kel!! i'll pray for you. that is so weird! i'm so grateful for doctors. : )

Bethany Sines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Brotherly Love...

Background...